Dr. Bobby Cherayil
Dr. Bobby Cherayil is a graduate of Christian Medical College, Vellore, India, where he received the MBBS degree followed by an MD in pediatrics. He did post-doctoral training in immunology at the Whitehead Institute for Biomedical Research and at the Massachusetts General Hospital. He is currently an Associate Professor of Pediatrics at Harvard Medical School and directs a laboratory that studies innate immune responses to bacterial enteropathogens. In addition to his laboratory research, he is actively involved in teaching cellular and molecular immunology to medical and graduate students, and holds positions on a number of grant review and editorial committees, including as a Section Editor of the Journal of Immunology.
Publications (last 5 years)
- Chlosta, S., Fishman, D.S., Harrington, L., Johnson, E.E., Knutson, M.D., Wessling-Resnick, M., and Cherayil, B.J. The iron efflux protein ferroportin regulates the intracellular growth of Salmonella. Infect. Immun. 2006; 74: 3065-3067.
- Harrington, L., Srikanth, C.V., Antony, R., Shi, H.N., Cherayil, B.J. A role for natural killer cells in intestinal inflammation caused by infection withSalmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium. FEMS Immunol. Med. Microbiol. 2007; 51: 372-380.
- Harrington, L., Srikanth, C.V., Antony, R., Rhee, S.J., Mellor, A.L., Shi, H.N., and Cherayil, B.J. Deficiency of indoleamine 2,3-dioxygenase enhances commensal-induced antibody responses and protects against Citrobacter colitis. Infect. Immun. 2008; 76: 3045-3053.
- Wang, L. Johnson, E.E., Shi, H.N., Walker, W.A., Wessling-Resnick, M., and Cherayil, B.J. Attenuated inflammatory responses in hemochromatosis reveal a role for iron in the regulation of macrophage cytokine translation. J. Immunol. 2008; 181: 2723-2731.
- Wang, L., Cherayil, B.J. Ironing out the wrinkles in host defense: interactions between iron homeostasis and innate immunity. J. Innate Immun. 2009; 1: 455-464.
- Wang, L., Harrington, L., Trebicka, E., Shi, H.N., Kagan, J.C., Hong, C.C., Lin, H.Y., Babitt, J.L., Cherayil, B.J. Selective modulation of TLR4-activated inflammatory responses by altered iron homeostasis. J. Clin. Invest. 2009; 119: 3322-3328.
- Wang, L., Trebicka, E., Fu, Y., Ellenbogen, S., Hong, C.C., Babitt, J.L., Lin, H.Y., Cherayil, B.J. The bone morphogenetic protein-hepcidin axis as a therapeutic target in inflammatory bowel disease. Inflamm. Bowel Dis. 2011. In press.
- Wang, L., Trebicka, E., Fu, Y., Waggoner, L., Akira, S., Fitzgerald, K.A., Kagan, J.C., Cherayil, B.J. Regulation of lipopolysaccharide-induced translation of tumor necrosis factor-alpha by the Toll-like receptor 4 adaptor protein TRAM. J. Innate Immun. 2011. In press.
Dr. Bobby Cherayil
Mucosal Immunology Laboratory,
Massachusetts General Hospital,
Building 114, 16th Street, Charlestown, MA 02129.
Phone : 617-726-4170, Fax : 617-726-4172.
E-mail : firstname.lastname@example.org
Website : www.massgeneral.org/mucosalimmunology